Instructor: Andy Whitlatch, Director of Photography – Brooklyn, New York
> Course Description:
This is an introduction to the art of cinematography. My intention is to provide a hands-on approach to learning some of the basics behind cinematography. Students will be exposed to some of the language and terms used in filmmaking. Each hour-long class will consist of classroom sharing, a lesson and assignment to be done outside class time. Campers will present their work at the start of each class and we will go over what the camper did well and what they could do to improve. The lessons each day will provide the campers with the knowledge to perform that day's assignment.
> This Academy Meets on:
Monday, July 27
Tuesday, July 28
Wednesday, July 29
Thursday, July 30
> How to Prepare for this Academy:
1. You will need a smartphone to shoot and edit video.
2. Complete this assignment before World Camp:
Assignment 1 - Take a photo of something or someone you love. It could be a photo of your parents, a book you really love, the family car, musical instrument, etc. Anything that gives us some insight into who you are. Tell us what you love!
> Lesson Plan:
1. Day 1: Composition – Frames, Scenes, and Basic Rules of Photography
2. Day 2: Lighting – Emotion in lighting, How to convey a feeling, Practical approach to lighting.
3. Day 3: Camera Movement – Pan, Tilt, Dolly, Lock Off, Tracking Shot, Zoom, POV, etc.
4. Day 4: Film Festival – A presentation of campers’ films to the class for feedback.
For a detailed lesson plan, see here.
To upload your homework, see here:
> This academy is for:
This academy is open to participants of all ages.
> Instructor’s Links: